Saturday, November 1, 2008

Christmas Madness is Upon Us...

Well, my Halloween countdown went a little sideways, due in part to a teething baby. We had four molars in two days - so there's little wonder why she was having such a tough time of it! So, now that Halloween is over - its time to start the Christmas festivities!!! I know in the US there is still Thanksgiving before the real Christmas crunch begins, but here in Canada, Christmas begins the day after Halloween. In fact, while I was doing some last minute shopping last night in Walmart, they were already installing the Christmas displays where the Halloween candy had just been...


Before we leave Halloween though, I though I'd share this photo of my daughter dressed for Halloween. We dressed her up last year as well but she was only two weeks old so the costume just swam on her. I've discovered that trying to shoot good pictures of a one-year-old in costume is a difficult task - but this is one of my favourites. The hat stayed on for about 20 seconds...although she did learn to say hat last night. Of course, she keeps dropping the h sound so she sounds French Canadian... 'at, 'at, 'at!


My first Christmas project is this little pyramid box filled with "Candy Cane Seeds"...otherwise known as peppermint candies. I had caught the triangle box tutorial on Splitcoast this week. Beate always does such a wonderful job with her projects but I was looking for a box that was a bit more pyramid shaped so I adapted a template to make this little box. You can fit two of these boxes on a sheet of 8.5x11 cardstock with loads of room to spare. They will hold a small amount of hard candies or Hershey's kisses.

I printed the box on some candy cane themed cardstock I had, cut out a window and backed with acetate and then added the stamped image mounted onto a scalloped circle. The image is actually the Candy Cane Penguin from Whipper Snapper, but I only stamped a part of it for this project. I pierced the top of the box with a piercing tool and added a small jump ring to thread onto the sentiment and then I tied a ribbon through it.

This is the poem attached to the box:

I once knew a gardener who could grow,
bright tasty candies right out of the snow.
I asked him to share his secret with me,
and this is what he said quite readily:
“To garden in the winter is difficult you see.
It takes lots of care and a very special seed.
I'll give you some to grow your own treats.
You'll soon reap a harvest of candy cane sweets”

As always, if you would like the box template, email me at graphixgirlliluAThotmailDOTcom and I will send it to you. One of these days I actually get them uploaded...

Supplies: Cardstock (Reminisce), Stamps (Whipper Snapper), Diecut (Nestabilities), ribbon (Papertrey Ink, Poppy collection), acetate, computer generated sentiment.

No comments: