Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Halloween Countdown - Day 2

So, before I get to tonight's Halloween project I wanted to post a photo of my little girl who turned the big numero uno today! It's hard to believe it's been a whole year since she came into our lives. I'm so happy to see her grow and change every day - she truly is a joy.

We're having a big birthday for her this weekend but we had a little family dinner and cake tonight and I gave her one gift to open. Actually, we had a hard time getting her to open the present because she spent about 10 minutes playing with the curly ribbon that was attached to the bag. Here's a photo of her playing with her new airplane.



I think she was very excited to have her own "little people". They have them at her daycare and she loves to play with them. Mind you, they spend about half their time in her mouth...


So, tonight's Halloween project is a very, very simple one. I can usually put together a couple dozen of these in an evening. These little slider boxes hold three Hershey's nuggets. About two weeks before Halloween I like to put a basket of them near our door for guests that might stop in to say hi. I sometimes take them to work as well to give out to co-workers. Three nuggets is a nice treat without being too much candy (though, can you ever really have too much candy...).


There are about a million nugget box templates on Splitcoaststampers (okay...maybe not a million...). They come in all shapes and sizes so you can make these as big or as small as you like. These are about three inches long. You can find the template I've used for these boxes here: http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84914. If you are planning to make a lot of these, cut out all your box pieces first and put them together assembly line style.


When I cut out the box templates I also cut a strip of coordinating patterned paper that is about 1/2" narrower and slightly longer than the lid template. I glue the paper down and then score both sheets together. Its important to make the patterned paper slightly longer as it will shorten up a bit when you score it. You can decorate these boxes any way you like. I've added a simple ribbon and a Making Memories epoxy ribbon tag but I've also put on stamped tags, stickers and other embellishments over the years. Its a pretty small surface so you will want to keep decoration to a minimum. Inside, wrap you nuggets in a coordinating Halloween paper (3"x1" strips will cover a nugget), or use a mailing label stamped with Halloween images.


Supplies: Cardstock (Bazzill), Patterned paper (Carolee's Creations, Reminisce), ribbon, epoxy tags (Making Memories)

1 comment:

Tonniece said...

A Happy Belated birthday to your little cutie.

Great nugget box, it turned out great.
Thanks for the link,