Thursday, May 22, 2008

SCS Challenge - Sketch Challenge 177

Here's my "submission" for sketch challenge 177 on Splitcoast. I'm a day late (an a dollar short...) on posting it as my daughter is teething, poor thing. Anyway, I had fun doing this and I usually don't like sketch challenges. I thought I'd "challenge" myself a bit and try and use up one of the multitude of images I've received through PIFs and WISHRAKs. I have a whole photo box full of beautiful images that I never seem to get around to using!

Anyway, this image seemed particularly fitting as we've had a lot of rain the past couple of days. Anyone who's ever visited the west coast of Canada knows that rain is pretty much par for the course around here. I love this little Hanna image and I happened to have six of them sent to me by some of the lovely folks in WISHRAK. I cut one out to use as a mask for another.

Just as a side note, you don't need anything fancy to mask an image. In this case I don't even own the stamp so I just took a second image, stamped on white cardstock and cut it out just inside the outter edge of the black line. Then I covered the back with repositional (temporary) adhesive and placed it over my working image and voilá, instant mask.

I used the raindrop image from MFTs Rain or Shine to creat the rain background and then sponge daubed the puddle under her feet. After that I removed my makeshift mask and watercoloured the image with pencil crayons. The rain clouds are from the MFT set as well. They are a solid coloured image, but to make them more "whispy" I inked them and then gently brushed them on a cloth before stamping them. It created a more patchy look that I wanted. I outlined the bottoms with a silver Sharpie to create a "silver lining".

Supplies: Stamps (Hanna, My Favorite Things), Cardstock (Bazzill, Prism, SU!), Ink (Palette, SU!), Dew Drops (Robin's Nest), water color pencil crayons.

No comments: