Friday, April 25, 2008

Tangy Lemon Bars

Here's a recipe for lemon bars that I quite like. I think I have about five recipes for lemon bars that I seem to rotate through and they are all a little different. This bar has a rich, shortbread crust and a tangy lemon custard on the top.

Lemon Bars

1 cup butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups flour
4 eggs
1 1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 3-4 lemons)
grated zest from 2 lemons
5 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Preheat your oven to 350•F.

Chop butter into small pieces and mix together with 2 cups of flour and 1/2 cup of sugar. Blend with a pastry blender or your fingers until mixture resembles soft crumbs. Press into the bottom of an ungreased 9x12-inch pan.

Bake the crust for 15-20 minutes in preheated oven until set and golden.

In another bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 cups sugar and flour. Whisk in the eggs, lemon juice and lemon zest. Pour over the baked crust.

Bake for 20 minutes more. Cool on wire rack. When bar is completely cool, sprinkle with a generous layer of powdered sugar.

Yield: 24 bars

My mom really enjoyed these but she did complain that the crust was too thick - which made sense because she didn't have a 9x13-inch pan so we used a slightly smaller one. The crust is very rich so you don't want it to be too thick. Also - eat these at room temperature as the butter in the crust seems to harden up in the refrigerator and they don't taste as nice. This is a great bar to have English style with a hot cup of afternoon tea!

I picked up two fabulous baking books today and can't wait to get started on some of the recipes.

The first is Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan. The rcipes look amazing and she includes lots of fabulous hints on how to get the best results.





The second book is called Small Batch Baking by Debbie Nakos. I thought this would be a fun book to try because as much as I love baking and giving it away to folks who will appreciate it, sometimes I just want to make a special dessert for me and hubby without all those leftover temptations lying around...well...tempting me.



1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Oh, I love lemon bars! Yours look delicious!