Saturday, February 16, 2008

Card Kit Swap


This is a picture of some card kits I made for a swap I'm in on Splitcoast. I've got no idea what people put into these kits so I hope whoever gets them is able to make a cute card from them. Its a March swap so I thought I'd go with a Saint Patrick's Day theme. Inside each kit is the following:

  • 2 pieces 6x6 patterned paper (Reminisce)
  • 1 - 12" piece of ribbon (Making Memories)
  • 1 stamped image (Stamping Bella - Goodluckabella)
  • 2 homemade dimensional stickers (1 is a shamrock outlined in Glitter Ritz emerald glitter and the other is a two-toned four-leaf clover with a Heida Swapp rhinestone in the centre)
  • 1 Good Luck sentiment - embossed in emerald embossing powder
  • 6 green brads
  • 2 green dew drops (Robin's Nest)

This is a completely foreign way of designing a card for me. Usually I start with a concept (i.e. a colour combination, a layout, a technique), then I determine the stamped image, if any, I'm going to use. I pick out my cardstock and patterned paper and the last thing I pick out is my embellishments - usually after the card has been laid out.

I think swaps are great. I went a little over board when I first started doing them and I think that I've got myself signed up for like 15 or so... but there are a lot of advantages to swaps. Here's a few reasons to do them:

  • To use up your stash. There's a reason why this site is called Craft Store Junkie and sometimes I find myself spending more time purchasing supplies than actually creating projects.
  • To get to know other scrappers/stampers on SCS. There's usually a lot of chatter on the swap boards and its a great way to meet other stampers. I've actually met a few local ladies by being involved in swaps.
  • To stretch your creative bounderies - do a swap that puts you outside of your comfort zone. Learn a new technique, try a new stamp company, use a colour combination that you don't normally use. Like the challenges, swaps will make you a better stamper.
  • To receive some amazing cards from the very talented folks on SCS. I've gotten back some absolutely beautiful works of art.

I've got a few swap going myself if any of you are interested. Check out Last Minute Occasions, Ribbon Addicts and Scrap to Basics.

If there's anyone actually reading this blog I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences with swaps. Do you like them? If you haven't done one, why not?

1 comment:

Sue said...

Hi Lisa -
I am reading your blog but at present I am not into doing challenges - I don't think I have the time. I have several projects on the go and try to make extra cards to send to the ladies in Manitoba who send them to the Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan to use.
That said - I am enjoying your blog!!
Sue